Monday, March 31, 2008

Update from Susan

It has been a few days, actually since last Wednesday, that a new entry has been made. It has gone by fast. We have been having wonderful times together here at home. Still trying to get the proper morphine concentration to give Susan pain free days and provide for her awake times to enjoy activities at home. Susan is still doing well at home. We are truly amazed at how much energy she has, now even walking around the house, directing this to be cleaned up and even dabbling in doing some cleanup her self. But minimizing the activities she does (it can be hard sometimes). We celebrated Hannah's birthday on Sunday (actually is today). But it was filled with puzzle races, watching home videos from 1990 and 1996. Susan was drowsy but was aware of what was going on.
After our devotional time together over the weekend, Susan wanted me to put this one in the blog. It is from 'My Utmost from His Highest' devotional, for March 28th;
Just because I don't understand what Jesus Christ says, I have no right to determine that He must be mistaken in what He says. That is a dangerous view, and it is never right to think that my obedience to God's directive will bring dishonor to Jesus. The only thing that will bring dishonor is not obeying Him. To put my view of His honor ahead of what He is plainly guiding me to do is never right, even though it may come from a real desire to prevent Him from being put to an open shame. I know when the instructions have come from God because of their quiet persistence. But when I begin to weigh the pros and cons, and doubt and debate enter into my mind, I am bringing in an element that is not of God. This will only result in my concluding that His instructions to me were not right. Many of us are faithful to our ideas about Jesus Christ, but how many of us are faithful to Jesus Himself? Faithfulness to Jesus means that I must step out even when and where I can't see anything (see Matthew 14:29). But faithfulness to my own ideas means that I first clear the way mentally. Faith, however, is not intellectual understanding; faith is a deliberate commitment to the Person of Jesus Christ, even when I can't see the way ahead.
Are you debating whether you should take a step of faith in Jesus, or whether you should wait until you can clearly see how to do what He has asked? Simply obey Him with unrestrained joy. When He tells you something and you begin to debate, it is because you have a misunderstanding of what honors Him and what doesn't. Are you faithful to what He says, or are you trying to compromise His words with thoughts that never came from Him? "Whatever He says to you, do it" (John 2:5)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Doug:

I pray for Susan regularly. I know God's grace is filling her and I hope the same for you. Please know that we love her, you, and your family.

Matt and Ashley

Anonymous said...

We have your family in our prayers and thoughts each and everyday. You are amazing....being a cancer patient myself, you have really lifted my spirits!

Rick and Tami Folkerts
Billings, MT

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the devotional, it really spoke to me, too. I am so grateful that Susan could celebrate Hannahs birthday with you all. Susan, Joshua got engaged last night, I wanted to share that good news with you. Love to all, Jeri Good

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Hannah! I hope you all had a wonderful celebration together. Have a nice evening,
Erin

Anonymous said...

Bless you guys!

What a wonderful opportunity to be home together.

Love,

Christian, Laurel, and the boys

Anonymous said...

This is so great, how suddenly she became better. You never know about what could happen. God could decide to heal her. Or take her home. We all, (in my family) and everyone else in the world loves her and hopes she stays here with us. Our thoughts are all on you and we pray and pray she gets well. God is smart and we cannot even comprehend on what he's doing right now. Do you l love our earth? I do. have you ever noticed how beautiful each and every tiny thing is? God is magical and has powers beyond what our minds can cope with. He may say, "Ya know what? I want Susan to stay with her family." And then the next day, she sitting up laughing and healed from all sicknesses in the world. Our God is that Powerful.
Love you all, Brio C.

Anonymous said...

This is so great, how suddenly she became better. You never know about what could happen. God could decide to heal her. Or take her home. We all, (in my family) and everyone else in the world loves her and hopes she stays here with us. Our thoughts are all on you and we pray and pray she gets well. God is smart and we cannot even comprehend on what he's doing right now. Do you l love our earth? I do. have you ever noticed how beautiful each and every tiny thing is? God is magical and has powers beyond what our minds can cope with. He may say, "Ya know what? I want Susan to stay with her family." And then the next day, she sitting up laughing and healed from all sicknesses in the world. Our God is that Powerful.
Love you all, Brio C.

brother jim said...

hi doug,susan and family--uncle jim here wishing you each great and wonderful times together---thanks susan for the uplift and conviction--I'm working with some pretty crude construction workers right now--have had to stand my grounds in a couple of areas as they try my character--thanks for the words of counsel--good advice. I enjoy the blog site and it's a great way to stay in touch--
Love you all bunches--jim

Anonymous said...

Susan, Doug and family:

I am humbled morning by morning when I read this blog. Your faithfulness is neverending. Wish I could say the same. We are struggling as a family trying to deal with Anna's chronic illness diagnosis and everyday is a new battle.

I wanted you all to know that this blog and Susan's strength and unwavering faith is what has kept me returning to the Lord these days. It would truly be so much easier to walk away, but then where would we be...alone. With Christ I am not alone, never will be. God is with us and will never leave us.

I heard a sermon last sunday about the existence of God and why do people suffer? It was so good in that he explained that God is infinate and has infinate wisdom and we cannot comprehend the blessings that will come from our suffering. It was such a good sermon and just what I needed. Of course, God knew that.

We continue to pray for Susan and the family and look at the blog each morning for updates. We love you, we miss you and are in continual prayer for your family.

Debby, Jason and the kids (Federal Way, WA)

Anonymous said...

Wow!
How true the devotional is.
How difficult to live, but it is our quest and purpose...
This process is purifying. It removes self dependence and causes us to "Let go and Let God."
Simple obedience.
Your blog helps us to walk with you...but together we all discover more about His mighty power.
We appreciate your messages.
miss you
D, D, & C