Sunday, March 9, 2008

Rough Weekend

"Cast your burdens upon the Lord, and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken." Psalm 55:22

How quickly life can change when dealing with cancer. Thus my oldest daughter Leah, had all of us girls to her house for a 'girls night out'. She lives in the Gonzaga U area of Spokane WA. She attends E Washington U. She has a cute old house sharing it with 3 other girls that go to Gonzaga. Well we had a big dinner, made cookies and then watched a 'girlie movie'. That was the start of my rough nights. I didn't sleep well that night, getting up every 3 hours to take pain meds. And I was not drinking enough fluids because on Friday while I was at the Cancer Center getting my regular treatments, I started experiencing the dry heaves (no fun) which usually means dehydrated. So after 2 liters of solution and several hours, Doug took me home and I felt much better. By Saturday, I was having some difficulty breathing with some chest discomfort. I got winded and tired more easily. Now on Wednesday, my chest x-rays looked good (no difference over the last 2 chest x-rays). So we were not sure what was going on. So Doug and I farmed out the young girls and took it easy getting love letters and cook books together for the kids. Spent some time in the hot tub. Took it easy, Doug was my slave. Come Sunday, no change but contacted the Hospice nurse who advised taking meds and taking it easy until Monday morning when our primary nurse could check on Susan and have more direct contact with Doctors and the hospital. So more to come on this one. Went to a Seder Dinner on Sunday evening at Friends Church put on by the Jews for Jesus international ministry. Was blessed by the dinner and discussions, along with seeing good friends.
Thank you to all of you Prayer Warriors and those that give to our family. You are a blessing.
"One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek; That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the Lord." Psalm 27:4

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunt Susan,
I'm sorry to hear that you've continued to have so much pain. I really wish I could take that pain away from you. This week in my clinical class, I was changing the dressing on a young man's wound and he felt excruciating pain despite having had pain meds. It was really hard for me to see someone in such pain. We had to get the surgeon to order more morphine. I felt like I had no control over his discomfort and the only thing I could do was be with him and hold his hand. I'm so glad that you have nurses (and of course family) that can be there with you. Thinking of you lots,
Erin

Anonymous said...

Aunt Susan, Uncle Doug and Cousins,

Sorry to hear about the rough weekend. I am so thankful for all the support you have through family, friends, and health care! I especially praise God for His faith so obviously found in you!

1 Peter 1:3-9
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope… …Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith…

We are praying for you this week.

Christian, Laurel, Kaden and August

Anonymous said...

Susan, I hope the pain will subside and I will keep the prayers going your way. No one should have to suffer as much as you do. I wish I could bear your pain for you!
Denise

Anonymous said...

All my love and prayers, Jeri

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you! You have been so strong to yourself and everyone through these years! God bless you Susan! We love you!
Mary Havens :)