Saturday, October 11, 2008

Change of Seasons

"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10



Fall is definitely upon us. We all love the Fall season. One of Susan's favorites too! But she would tell you that she loves all the seasons. The leaves are falling all around and she just absolutely loved raking up the leaves. Along with the kids (and even I would too) we would fill plenty of bags of leaves, playing in them along the way. Good memories. The work awaits us this year.



God has been speaking to me a lot lately about this verse in Psalm 46. "Be Still" When things around us get a little bit crazy (family, stock market, elections, etc) and sometimes out of our control, He tells us to "be still". Not give up, but realize that we are nothing without Him. We are weak, we grow weary and faint but God cares about us, loves us. It is such a comfort to know that whatever we are going through, the God of our vast universe, loves and cares for little old me and my family. And it is in our quiet times that we put it in perspective and rely on Him, His strength and grace. In Isaiah 40:31, "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint."



We have been having some fun lately. Kayla just finished up her cross country season at her elementary school. She loved it although it was a challenge for her. Here is a clip of her last race, running with a smile.


Speaking of running and not growing weary, pray for me and Leah on Sunday. Leah runs the Spokane Half marathon and I run the Spokane marathon. Pray that we stay healthy and finish the race. We have been running quite a bit lately and we are ready. Thanks... we will tell you how it goes on Sunday. Also Laura and Kayla go to their sewing club this afternoon. Will include some photos of their quilts that they have been working on. Blessings to everyone.......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Doug and all,
Good luck to you and Leah on your marathon! It sounds like everyone is busy with different activities. Yes, Fall is beautiful. We took a nice walk today - out into the cool, crisp air, while shuffling through the leaves. We saw a Mountain Chickadee, which is a rarity around here. I do remember seeing them near East Rosebud Lake.
Our best wishes and love to all, Judy and Patrick

Anonymous said...

Dear Vetsch family,
It must be amazing to truly experience the seasonal changes. Here in California, we don't get a chance to see and feel the different seasons as you do.
Way to go, Kayla, on your run. Thank you for sharing this with us.
By the time I post this, Doug and Leah, you will have already ran. I am sure your training was evident.
Hannah, thinking about you often as you continue with nursing school.
I pray everyone is doing well and I look forward to your next posting.
Take care and God Bless, Jean

Jason & Debby Coleman said...

Doug and family: Thank you for the wonderful reminder of "being still". It's so difficult isn't it with the busyness of kids and schedules and what nots of daily life. I've been down lately. It's been a tough turning of the seasons for me. It's hard to stay focused on God and I have so many questions for God... Your blog is refreshing to me as I read about your faithfulness. I almost feel ashamed for my lack of faith and "steadfastness". I need to spend more time with God, you are right...and just being still. Thank you for this simple reminder.