Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Grace in Time of Need

And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weakness, that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 2 Corinthians 12:9
Hello family and friends,
This verse certainly speaks volumes to me lately. I feel like a fish out of water sometimes with being a single parent. It has been a challenge of late but day to day I keep my eyes on Jesus and rest in His grace. He gives me the strength and wisdom I need daily. It has been busy of late.
-Sarah's surgery went well last Wednesday. Took a little longer than was planned but everything turned out just fine. With some pain meds, Sarah was able to cope with the after effects and has been doing well. Today she had a follow up appointment and the doctor put some new wrapping on her left hand.
-On the Friday before Memorial Day, the family had a placement ceremony at the cemetery for Susan's ashes. Her ashes are buried at the Memorial Gardens Cemetery at 7315 N Government Way in Coeur d'Alene. Pastor Dick officiated at the short service. It was a very close occasion for my family as all lowered the urn into the ground. Here are a couple of pictures.



And then for Memorial Day weekend, we all headed up to Farragut State Park (about 30 miles north) to camp out. Weather was cool the first night, sunny the next day with some drizzle on Saturday night. But then the rest of the weekend was really nice. We played alot of games like Phase 10 (a card game), Frisbee golf and wiffle ball. What a great time. All expect on Saturday afternoon, when I was throwing my Frisbee disk (this one was an official disk, heavier, pointy edge). I really threw it hard and it hit one tree, hit another and came right down on Aaron's head. He went down so fast and was bleeding. By the time I got there, he was still on the ground, but was not bleeding too bad. We went back to camp and cleaned up the wound. He later went back into town with Hannah to go to Emergent Care. He ended up getting 5 stitches. I felt bad. What a freak accident. So pray for his head and proper healing.

Today was Aaron's birthday. Sixteen years old. We had a taco dinner then played kickball in the pasture and volleyball in the front yard followed up with four square on the driveway. It was a nice weekend. This coming weekend will be Relay for Life, our local chapter event for Cancer awareness and charity to fight the disease. We will be partaking in the event on Friday night. Then on Saturday afternoon, a luau for Aaron's birthday with some of his friends, more games and probably a bonfire at our house. On Wednesday evening, I will meet with Theresa, a nanny who will potentially be working for me for a couple of days a week this summer when the kids are out of school. Mary, Laura and Kayla will go with me to meet and talk with her. Pray for peace and that all will work out.
I want to thank all of you dear ones out there that have helped the Vetsch family in so many ways (prayers, meals, cards, letters, emails, contributions to the Susan Vetsch Cancer Fund, cleaning of our house, help with lice issues, driving kids here and there, sewing classes, cooking classes, softball practice/games, etc). You are all blessings and we love you all. Keep praying for harmony amongst the children,
peace and strength for me, keeping to a chore list, and trying to have fun while doing it all. We are doing well considering. We stay busy. Lastly,
"I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.... I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:11,13

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Doug and cousins,

Thank you for the pictures. It looks like it was a beautiful day for the ceremony and for your family. The camping trip sounded fun and eventful… we hope Aaron heals up quickly and smoothly.

We pray that as you keep busy you have the strength, energy, and clarity to keep things running along. What an answer to prayer for all the help you have received and continue to receive.

I look forward to passing your way as Dad and I are still on track to climb Mt. Rainier in a few weeks.

God’s grace to you all,

Christian, Laurel & the boys

Anonymous said...

Hello Vetsches!

Your ceremony looked as though it was a special & meaningful time for all of you. It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend at Farragut (Doug - I'll say an extra prayer for your Frisbee golf skills!!!). I'm sure you all had a great time! I don't doubt you are keeping quite busy with the kids and all the activities they're involved in. Please remember that if there's anything at all we can do don't hesitate to call. My prayers will continue for all of you as you adjust to this change in your life. Remember, a day at a time, a moment at a time. God and the rest of us are always here for you! Glad to hear Sarah's surgery went well.

With lots of hugs, prayers and love,

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Dear Doug,
Thank you for giving us the updates. It is such a blessing to be able to pray for your family. Susan was such a remarkable woman it is great to see how her legacy continues. I am so far away I can't offer a ride or casserole but please know I think of you often and pray for you and your family. In Christ, Jeri Good

GiGi said...

Doug,

We just found out that you continue to update your blog. We are so amazed and inspired by your awesome family. Thank you for sharing your thoughts because it means more to people than you know. We think of your family often and pray for you daily. Thanks for showing us courage through adversity.

The Griffitts Family