Monday, June 30, 2008

Update

This is something I read recently in my book "Confessions of a Grieving Christian" by Zig Ziglar. An illustration of losing a loved one. Called "Gone From My Sight":

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.
Then someone at my side says, "There, she is gone!" Gone where? Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast and spar as she was when she left my side and she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined ports.
Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at the moment when someone at my side says "There, she is gone!" there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!" --- And that is dying.
I am doing great with the encouragement of God's word, daily. But also with encouragement of those of you that are praying, visiting us and just thinking about me and the family. I thank you. I thank the Lord for friends and family like you. I continue to miss Susan dearly. Today, Mary, Laura and Kayla went with Uncle Rick and family to meet up with other relatives at Lake Chelan in Washington State for camping. So tonight, it was very quiet and yes lonely around the house. I put together a puzzle but it was comforting. This was a puzzle of Susan and I when I was back in Officer Candidate School. Hannah made a puzzle out of a picture of us two and gave it to me for Father's Day. So pray for the three girls as they are away from us and probably having very much fun. They will return on Wednesday.

Here is a picture of Leah fighting fires. She is currently down in Redding CA fighting the many fires caused by lightning strikes.



Here is a picture of the Family Reunion over near Elliston Montana over this past weekend. A glorious weekend full of games, square dancing, eating, sitting around the campfire. We are already planning another one, 3 years from now, over near Red Lodge MT. We always have a great time together. Always laughter.

3 comments:

Jason & Debby Coleman said...

Doug: Keep the updates coming. I love reading your entries, they are soooo encouraging! And we like to keep up with the family as well. Are you looking forward to Cannon Beach as much as we are? I know it will be difficult for you but with God's grace He will help you through it and we will love on all of you! Can't wait to see you all again. And, be thinking about pictures you want me and Lynette to take. I am taking Jessa's senior pictures while we are there. Miss you much!

Anonymous said...

Hello Vetsch family!

It's so nice to get on the blog and catch up with things. We were in Minnesota the past week and just got home and I had to check on you guys. Glad to hear the reunion was a wonderful success. They're always fun. I love the scriptures and other readings you put in your blogs because they can really bring a person back to reality and to what is important so keep up the good work!! So glad Theresa is working out so well. I've constantly had Leah on my mind with her firefighting and I will certainly continue to keep her, and all of you, in my prayers. We're looking forward to the 4th of July parade and are hoping all of you still plan on joining us. See you tomorrow, we'll be in touch.

Hugs and Love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Doug: Love keeping up with your beautiful family and I noticed in Debby's comment that the Vetsch family will be headed to Cannon beach! I can't wait to tell Bob! We have your family picture on our mirror in our bedroom to remind us to always keep you in our thoughts and prayers! Can't wait to see you all and play a rousing game of Frisbee Football on the beach! Blessings,
Lynette Morgan