Thursday, June 12, 2008

Abiding in Him!

Hello Friends,
Check out the devotional "My Utmost for His Highest" for June 11(to the right, click on the hyperlink, then on the calendar, click the 11th). "Come to Me..." Matthew 11:28. It says, "Our Lord's words are not 'Do this or don't do that', But, "Come to Me". If I will simply come to Jesus, my real life will be brought into harmony with my real desires. I will actually cease from sin, and will find the song of the Lord beginning in my life." I encourage you to read the whole thing. Abide in Him. I am learning that very thing. When I give everything to Him, I see the desires that Jesus has for my life, and that is true freedom through my faith.

Aaron had a birthday with some of his friends. Here is a picture, in the rain, of the guys playing 4 square (newly painted on the driveway). Always kids at heart. We love the game.

Here is Jason and Leah, at their graduation party on Monday night. About 50 guests came by for food and fellowship with the kids to celebrate graduations. The cake was delicious. Lisa Dreckman provided the cake, thanks Lisa! Jason leaves for Maui this Saturday with Danny & family, to kick back after graduation. Thanks to the Fisher family for taking Jason. Aloha!

And of course it rained on Monday night, sometimes hard. But the sun poked out several times. So people went out to play volleyball. Here are some of Jason's friends gathering for a picture between games. The rain didn't dampen the fun at the graduation party. Thanks to all that were able to come. We treasure your friendships. This coming Saturday is Leah's graduation at E. Washington U.
Here is a poem that I recently read, and of course it is about the rainy times in our life (how appropriate since it has been raining here soo much).
Is it raining, little flower?
Be glad of rain;
Too much sun would wither one;
It will shine again.

The clouds are very dark, it's true;
But just behind them shines the blue.
Are you weary; tender heart?
Be glad of pain;
In sorrow, sweetest virtues grow,
As flowers in rain.
God watches, and you will have sun,
When clouds their perfect work have done.

Prayer requests:
1) Leah's graduation this Saturday. Also she will be fighting fires again this summer for the Forest Service in Oregon. Pray for safety.
2) My sleep is better, but I still need prayer. Many have told me that this is part of the grieving process.
3) We are all still grieving and healing. All different, in our own way. Our fun family events certainly help to keep the precious memories of Susan going. We learn to Abide in Him daily!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Doug, and all in the family,
What a beautiful poem, Doug! It's lovely. Congratulations to Leah and to Jason on their graduations. We're thinking of you and will miss seeing all of you at the family reunion. Lots of love, Judy and Patrick

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Leah and Jason on their graduations!

On Saturday I was working at the nursing home and a church choir was there singing in the afternoon. They sang "It is well with my soul" and I remembered Aunt Susan quoting those lines in at least one of her blog entries. I thought of her while we were singing. Even though most of the elderly people in the nursing home have dementia, we were all singing heartily with the choir. It was a great moment.

Hope you're all doing well.
Erin