Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Rejoice Always!

"Rejoice Always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not quench the Spirit; do not despise prophetic utterances. But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every form of evil." 1 Thessalonians 5: 16-22.

I have been talking with my brother on occasion down in Houston. He still does not have power. His neighbor has a generator, so he does go over and charge up his cell phone as necessary. No electricity, no water, bathroom? (use your imagination), but he does have a cell phone. There is comfort in that. At least he can talk to others that have all the comforts of home. People, we take so much for granted, don't we. Especially in this United States. Things are so comfortable. Our relationships are taken for granted also. Husbands, wives, children, etc. We have them and then we don't. That is why I keep going back to my Lord. He tells us to REJOICE always! In everything give THANKS!! I am not taking lightly what happened down in Houston, but my brother is alive, has his house and in time will get on with his life. I am grateful for that. After events like this, we do examine our lives and think about what is important and what isn't. We hold on to the important things.

I am currently over in Hawaii. Living on the Naval Base in Pearl Harbor. Working up at Camp Smith at the Pacific Command Headquarters, in the Joint Operations Center. This is my two week Reserves time. The children are safe back home, Mary, Laura and Kayla are staying with close friends. Leah is at home, keeping things running smoothly there with Jason and Aaron. I miss all of them. There are so many memories here in Hawaii of Susan. She was able to come over five times while I was on my reserve duties in the past here in Hawaii. So there are some things that are sweet, sweet memories but still hard to think about. I am working about 10 hours daily, so I am busy. Still with the three hours difference, it can get difficult talking with the kids while they are going to school and I to work. Been talking with them about every other day. Pray that they will be safe and that I will be too. Thanks to all that keep visiting us on this blog. I know that there are a few that visit but don't respond. That is just fine. My intent is that you can get caught up with what God is doing in our lives by visiting this blog. He blesses us in so many ways. I can't imagine life on this earth without faith in Jesus and the belief in the truths of God's Word. This is what Susan lived and she is right now in His presence. Amen!

Hannah sent me some pictures of Kayla's X-C0untry race at her school. I missed it but Hannah sent some pictures to enjoy and I will put several on the blog.



My email address:dougvetsch@roadrunner.com (just click and type away)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doug,

Sounds like you have been busy. Here's a link to the Leavenworth Marathon. You and the Family can stay at the house and take in the Octoberfest festivities!

Take Care,

Janet Jaspers

http://www.leavenworthmarathon.com/

Anonymous said...

Aloha Doug!

How's Hawaii? I'm sure it's beautiful as ever. So sorry to hear about the hardship your brother is going through. I'll definitely keep him in my prayers. I can't imagine what a mess that would be. I'm one of the ones that reads the blog but doesn't respond everytime. I'll try to be better about it, but just know all of you are always in my thoughts and prayers. It was so good to see everyone Labor Day!! I hope you're still planning on the marathon in Phoenix in January. We'd love to see you. I'm sure it's nice to have everyone back in school and on a somewhat more "normal" schedule. How does Sarah like her job? I'm sure Leah's enjoying her student teaching. I'm going to try and catch up with her soon. I was so happy to hear that Hannah's test went well. She'll do a wonderful job in that field. Take care and enjoy the island!!!

Prayers and hugs to everyone,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hello Doug,
I just want you to know that I read the blog and I enjpy every posting!! Thank you for taking the time to do it. I think of you all often and keep you in our prayers. I am glad to hear that you are all doing well. Susan pops into my head alot and what a wonderful woman she was!! I think I have a busy life then I think of her and her awesome attitude in all she did. Look forward to seeing her again. Try to have a good time in Hawaii.
Meghen Melena

Anonymous said...

Doug
I see the kids at school and they seem to be doing good. I miss my regular routine. It has been a beautiful week here. hope your weather is nice as well. I am sure the family is looking forward to having you home soon.
Thankyou for your reminders of Gods word. It comes at such perfect timing. He is worthy of all praise, even in our trials.
In a life of uncertainty He is certain, and unchanging!
Blessings
Kelly Murray

Anonymous said...

I would love to convince anyone to come down to Phoenix for the January marathon! Laurel and I will be running in it this year.

It is great to see everyone staying so busy and doing so well. I pray you finish your two weeks quickly and smoothly.

Bless you guys,

Christian, Laurel and the boys